Impactful, Permanently Remote Work at Anedot
Are you a servant-hearted software-engineering leader with a passion for nonprofits (such as campaigns, colleges, churches, ministries, nonprofits, universities, and schools)? Do you want to join and lead a team of talented people and use the latest technologies to build next-generation fundraising and fintech applications?
The Director of Engineering will be a hands-on engineering leader and work closely with the VP of Engineering, Dev Unit Leaders, and the CEO to own the software development lifecycle including software engineering, release, and maintenance. This position will work with Growth and Product Management teams to architect and develop software based on Product team priorities and market opportunities.
Additionally, the Director of Engineering will be instrumental in further building our "low bureaucracy, low meetings" engineering culture through hiring and onboarding efforts.
The successful candidate must be experienced in leading and building high-performing development teams in a fast-paced environment. In addition, they must be able to understand organizational goals and articulate them at the team level, while empowering team members to execute these goals through demonstrated action.
If you are…
- passionate about serving our customer base (learn more www.Anedot.com)
- a servant leader with a desire to build and manage high-performing software development teams
- egoless and empathetic in nature
- experienced building fintech applications
and you enjoy…
- programming for complex data platforms with transactional workflows and zero-tolerance for errors
- using and contributing to open-source software
- shipping quality features
- leading a self-managing team, supported via DevOps team automation
- working in a highly-productive environment where we empower our team to deliver by removing barriers (e.g. meetings only when necessary and no red tape)
And live in Alabama, California, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin or Saskatchewan, Canada then keep reading.
The Director of Engineering contributes to Anedot's Engineering team by leading our Software Development team. Approximately ten (10) self-managing Dev Unit Leaders report to the person filling this role, and this person will report to our VP of Engineering. The Director of Engineering will collaborate with our CEO to execute on the engineering requirements necessary to achieve Anedot's product vision.
- Engineering (Software Engineering, Infrastructure)
- Finance (Accounting)
- Growth (Marketing)
- Customer Experience (Support & Success)
- Legal (Legal/Compliance, Accounts)
- People (Recruitment, Employee Experience)
- Product (Design, Product Management, QA)
What You'll Need to be Successful in this Role
- Years of experience leading an agile, team-oriented development environment with (1) delivery experience and (2) peer code reviews
- Experience leading a team (8+ people) to achieve quality results on time
- Strong familiarity with relational databases and SQL (Postgres is a plus)
- Policy creation and development experience related to SOC2
- Keep a pulse on emerging technologies and knows when and how to incorporate them to achieve company goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to encourage and inspire bias toward action, and deliver quality results for our customers
- Bachelor's degree (computer science, math, or related field a plus)
What Success Looks Like in this Role
- Assess and plan Engineering implementation of Product Roadmap with Unit Leads.
- Build team by growing existing members and adding new teammates through partnership with the Anedot Recruiting team
- Coordinate, delineate, and assign engineering and technical work in coordination (frontend/backend/mobile) with Product Management to align with the Product Roadmap
- Coach and work alongside other engineering team members to strategize, troubleshoot, debug, and improve the platform
- Coach, lead, and empower engineering leaders to develop their skills while shipping quality code on time and within budget
- Promote well-designed, testable code, in an agile and collaborative environment through leading by example
- Continuously increase knowledge and skills (including relevant programming languages)
- Successfully translate product functionality into technical tasks to be delegated
- Coach and motivate the team to achieve organizational goals by helping each team member understand the impact of their contributions to the success of the overall product
Other Job Responsibilities
- Ensure uninterrupted flow of the software development lifecycle
- Ensure monitoring of Anedot systems and timely resolution of issues
- Monitor security vectors and coordinate with an external security auditor
- Coordinate with Infrastructure to ensure high-availability of our systems
- Be a sounding board for leads when conceptualizing tech/algorithmic strategies
- Grow and develop existing team members
How We Measure Success in this Role
- Periodic informal feedback and review of work
- Ruby (Rails)
- AWS Cloud platform
- Sidekiq Enterprise for workers/jobs/queues
- Testing tools/frameworks (e.g. Jest, Cypress, Playwright)
- CI/CD (e.g., GitHub Actions, TravisCI)
Anedot is a "forever remote" fintech company with a unique and esteemed "people first" culture rooted in the Southern Louisiana culture of hospitality. Our team of 50+ employees lives out our culture of freedom and responsibility while engaging in meaningful work in order to serve our valued customer base. Anedot believes in the value of a healthy work-life balance and encourages employees to find the right balance between their personal and professional lives. In addition, Anedot believes in developing each team member both personally and professionally. Read more about "The Anedot Way" on our Careers Page. (see links below)
See our careers page for more information.
See our careers page for perks and benefits information.
Terms of Employment at Anedot
- Permanently remote
- At-will employment
- Full-time, exempt
We’re actively looking for the right person for this role but want to make sure that each new hire is the right fit for Anedot, and Anedot is the right fit for the new hire. Because of this, we may say “no” to candidates after an interview or two even if we do not have someone else particularly in mind if we feel that its not the right fit one way, or another.